Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wow

So I have less than a week now till I arrive and boy am I excited. I haven't started packing yet (go me!) but I have been thinking about what I will pack.

Six months is a long time to pack for, especially since there will be a season change in there (not to mention I can't exactly get away with wearing my winter coat onto the plain since it is still summer up here). It doesn't help that I have to fit in my helmet and my boots too. I don't think I'll manage that all in one bag. I just keep telling myself that if I forget stuff, or need more, I'll be back over thanksgiving and can bring more stuff down. Of course, then I won't be able to bring it all back in one bag which could be a problem... I think shipping stuff home might be in order.

At give you guys a little background about why I'm doing this I'll give you a brief summary of who I am and stuff. As I write this, I am still 17 but I will be turning 18 on friday (!!). I've been riding my whole life, most eventing though. I moved up to prelim at GMHA this spring on my mother's horse and had a fantastic time. If I can jump 1.10m solid obstacles I can jump anything right? Well except for perhaps 1.3m solid obstacles but in jumpers I don't need to worry about that so much. I went to a private high school which limited my riding time a lot but I still managed, mostly working on project horses and not competing that much. My parents got divorced last summer and through that I learned that my dad would actually be okay with me taking a gap year to work or do whatever. So I started looking for a place to work and ride where I didn't have to bring my own horse. I found Rancho Pampa through the chronicle of the horse forums last fall, spent the winter looking for other positions, and finally settled on Rancho Pampa. The program they offer is amazing. It isn't work all day in the barn and if you are good enough/if there is time you might possibly be able to hack a horse around. No, they bring in working students to ride every day and all day (basically).  So how can I say no?

So on July 1st I will be getting on a plane and heading for Argentina, arriving there the morning of the 2nd to begin my first six months (approximately) there. I will return home for a week over thanksgiving and then hopefully go back to Rancho Pampa to finish off the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment